• The owner's program is evaluated simultaneously through the perspective of both design and budget information. Using historical data, quantity, budget and schedule models are able to be created immediately. Design, budget and schedules are all open book, completely transparent to the owner.
• The efficiency of the experienced design builder translates into better schedule performance in both the design process and during construction.
• A significant benefit for the owner in the design build process is to realize a true custom design. With change easier to be made in house, the Synchro process is less restrictive allowing the design to be dynamic.
• Synchro has always specialized in buildings with industrial users. They have ranged from various types of manufacturing and process facilities to administration buildings. Over the years, industrial owners have become much more architecturally sophisticated. Ergonomics, spatial and energy efficiency and sustainability have all trended upwards. Despite this, the bread and butter of the industrial customer is some form of industrial technology, and they need their buildings to accommodate this need.
• In summary, Synchro specializes in the design and construction of facilities for the industrial community.
• Synchro developed their design build process by initially outsourcing to architectural firms. After a few years the need to have in-house design became obvious. Synchro saw the large A/E industrial firms applying CAD technology for process design work and recognized the potential. In the early 1980s, Synchro became one of the earliest building companies of any kind in the Houston area to utilize CAD technology on their projects. The combination of in-house design and utilization of computer technology allows Synchro a distinct advantage over the two party approach.
• Synchro's approach continued to be refined with its design build services placed under a single organization, with a single fee structure. Synchro found that owners preferred contracting with only one entity. The process strived toward becoming seamless. Fewer steps were needed. Premium design was able to be produced with greater efficiency.
• The design builder cannot pass off responsibility. Finger pointing is eliminated.
• With Synchro, the owner does not pay for a learning curve. The architect and project manager are co-employees who have delivered multiple projects together. Team chemistry is in effect the first day of a new project.
• The Synchro architect's design process assesses construction input from the beginning. The need to schedule meetings with a contractor is not needed when the disciplines are located in the same building. The Synchro team has full time access to each other - synergy results.
ADVANTAGES OF THE SYNCHRO DESIGN BUILD PROCESS
"No man ever steps in the same river twice." ~Heraclitus